VIVUS Executes on its Strategic Vision with the Closing of its Acquisition of PANCREAZE® and Previously Announced Financing Transaction
“The restructuring of a portion of our debt coupled with the acquisition of a cash flow generating asset, PANCREAZE, will move
Approved in 2010, PANCREAZE is a pancreatic enzyme preparation consisting of pancrelipase, an extract derived from porcine pancreatic glands, as well as other enzyme classes, including porcine-derived lipases, proteases and amylases. The pancreatic enzymes in PANCREAZE act like digestive enzymes physiologically secreted by the pancreas. PANCREAZE is specifically indicated for the treatment of exocrine pancreatic insufficiency due to cystic fibrosis or other conditions.
The Senior Secured Note Purchase Agreement with investment funds managed by Athyrium provides for
PANCREAZE is a prescription medicine used to treat people who cannot digest food normally because their pancreas does not make enough enzymes due to cystic fibrosis or other conditions. PANCREAZE may help your body use fats, proteins, and sugars from food. PANCREAZE contains a mixture of digestive enzymes including lipases, proteases, and amylases from pig pancreas. PANCREAZE is safe and effective in children when taken as prescribed by your doctor.
IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION
What is the most important information I should know about PANCREAZE?
- PANCREAZE may increase your chance of having a serious, rare bowel disorder called fibrosing colonopathy that may require surgery.
- The risk of having this condition may be reduced by following the dosing instructions that your healthcare provider gave you.
Call your doctor right away if you have any unusual or severe stomach area (abdominal) pain, bloating, trouble passing stool (having bowel movements), nausea, vomiting, or diarrhea.
Take PANCREAZE exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Do not take more or less PANCREAZE than directed by your doctor.
What are the possible side effects of PANCREAZE?
PANCREAZE may cause serious side effects, including:
- A rare bowel disorder called fibrosing colonopathy.
- Irritation of the inside of your mouth. This can happen if PANCREAZE is not swallowed completely.
- Increase in blood uric acid levels. This may cause worsening of swollen, painful joints (gout) caused by an increase in your blood uric acid levels.
- Allergic reactions including trouble with breathing, skin rashes, or swollen lips.
Call your doctor right away if you have any of these symptoms.
The most common side effects include pain in your stomach (abdominal pain) and gas. Other possible side effects: PANCREAZE and other pancreatic enzyme products are made from the pancreas of pigs, the same pigs people eat as pork. These pigs may carry viruses. Although it has never been reported, it may be possible for a person to get a viral infection from taking pancreatic enzyme products that come from pigs.
These are not all the side effects of PANCREAZE. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that bothers you or does not go away.
You may report side effects to
What should I tell my doctor before taking PANCREAZE?
Tell your doctor if you:
- are allergic to pork (pig) products.
- have a history of blockage of your intestines, or scarring or thickening of your bowel wall (fibrosing colonopathy).
- have gout, kidney disease, or high blood uric acid (hyperuricemia).
- have trouble swallowing capsules.
- have any other medical condition.
- are pregnant or plan to become pregnant.
- are breast-feeding or plan to breast-feed.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
The Product Information and Medication Guide for PANCREAZE is available at www.pancreaze.net.
Certain statements in this press release are forward-looking within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 and are subject to risks, uncertainties and other factors, including risks and uncertainties related to potential change in our business strategy to enhance long-term stockholder value, including the acquisition of revenue generating products and the strengthening of our balance sheet; risks and uncertainties related to our agreement with
Chief Financial Officer
Source: VIVUS, Inc.